Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

firing

Libya: GNA-aligned forces retake military camps near Tripoli |NationalTribune.com

Forces aligned with Libya’s internationally recognised government have retaken three military bases from eastern-based military commander Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) south of the capital Tripoli. In a statement on Saturday, military spokesman Mohamed Gnunu said troops loyal to the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) overran the Yarmouk, al-Sawarikh and Hamza camps.  More: Turkey…

Libya: GNA-aligned forces retake military camps near Tripoli |NationalTribune.com

Forces aligned with Libya’s internationally recognised government have retaken three military bases from eastern-based military commander Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) south of the capital Tripoli.
In a statement on Saturday, military spokesman Mohamed Gnunu said troops loyal to the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) overran the Yarmouk, al-Sawarikh and Hamza camps. 
More:

Turkey accuses UAE of sowing chaos in the Middle East

The battle for Libya’s al-Watiya airbase explained

Libya: Three killed in Tripoli shelling blamed on Haftar’s forces

“Our heroic forces are chasing the remnants of Haftar’s terrorist militia and are continuing their progress,” Gnunu said on his Twitter account, without elaborating.
With Turkish help, the GNA has seized a string of towns in recent weeks, captured a strategic airbase, and destroyed several of the LNA’s Russian-made air defence systems.
In a two-minute audio speech addressed to his forces on Saturday, Haftar said they “will fight and fight” against what he called “Turkish colonialism”.
“To our brave officers and soldiers, you are fighting a holy war that is open to all fronts, a comprehensive war in which there is nothing but victory,” Haftar said in the speech.
Al Jazeera’s Mahmoud Abdelwahed, reporting from Tripoli, said the GNA’s gains were a major setback for Haftar.
“Al-Yarmouk military camp had been set by the LNA as some kind of central command to run the battles in southern Tripoli,” he said.
“The base was controlled by Russian mercenaries from the Wagner Group … The government has told displaced civilians not to return to their homes because LNA forces have set up land mines in civilian areas in the same way ISIL set up IEDs in the city of Sirte in 2016.”
Saturday’s announcement comes days after Ahmad al-Mesmari, a spokesman for Haftar’s forces, said his fighters would pull back from some positions south of Tripoli.
The withdrawal, he said, was part of a “redeployment”.
Making gains
Fighting has recently escalated between Libya’s warring sides despite international calls for a humanitarian truce in the country to focus efforts on battling an outbreak of the new coronavirus. 

Page 1 of 2

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2020 Tribune Media LLC