Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

coronavirus

Coronavirus lockdown strikes fear among Manila’s poor

Manila, Philippines – Cecil Carino agonised over her decision. On Thursday evening, the resident of San Roque – a maze of cramped, makeshift dwellings buried within the heart of Quezon City – listened to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte issue a lockdown order for Metro Manila due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has now spread to more…

Coronavirus lockdown strikes fear among Manila’s poor

Manila, Philippines – Cecil Carino agonised over her decision. On Thursday evening, the resident of San Roque – a maze of cramped, makeshift dwellings buried within the heart of Quezon City – listened to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte issue a lockdown order for Metro Manila due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has now spread to more than 114 countries.
The unprecedented lockdown, which takes effect between March 15 and April 14, will bar domestic travel in and out of the capital and confine more than 12 million people to the area.
It gave Carino, 37, less than two days to choose between waiting out the lockdown with her family, or taking her children to a relative’s home outside of Manila and leaving her husband, a construction worker, behind.
“[He] will stay. No work, no pay,” she said. “But it’s possible the company will shut down, maybe tomorrow.”
In his address, Duterte vowed to deploy police and military to instil “peace and order” during the lockdown, which was recommended earlier that day by an interagency committee. He insisted the measure is “not martial law”.

Cecil Corina, 37, a resident of San Roque in Quezon City, in Metro Manila [Nick Aspinwall/Al Jazeera]

But authorities have not revealed provisions for financial assistance and healthcare subsidies, leaving impoverished neighbourhoods like San Roque, home to around 6,000 families, in a state of “confusion and panic,” said Dr Joshua San Pedro, co-convener of the Coalition for People’s Right to Health.
“It seemed mostly like a military and police solution rather than a health intervention,” he said.
The lockdown order recommends instituting citywide quarantines in any of Metro Manila’s 16 cities and municipalities, should they report more than two positive cases in different communities.
This has already happened in Quezon City, which has so far reported six of the country’s 64 confirmed coronavirus cases. Quezon City alone has a population of more than three million.
It could keep residents of San Roque – many of whom work in construction or security in other cities and make less than the area’s minimum daily wage of 537 Philippine pesos ($10.52) – stranded from their jobs and in economic peril.
“I was hoping the president would address that situation,” Carino said. “That’s why people are getting panicked. We’re not secure.”

The unprecedented lockdown, which takes effect between March 15 and April 14, will bar domestic travel in and out of Metro Manila and confine more than 12 million people to the sprawling capital [Nick Aspinwall/Al Jazeera]

Workers will be stranded in the metropolis
San Roque, an informal settlement, has for more than a decade fought demolition orders designed to clear the land for condominiums and a casino. Its residents have more pressing concerns now.
The Philippines reported 61 of its 64 coronavirus cases in the past week, leading to heavy criticism of the government’s sluggish preparation for the pandemic.
Ely Aboga, a security guard at a mall in Makati, said he is “very scared” of the virus and is worried his neighbours in San Roque are not informed of its severity.
Aboga, 52, said he is planning to bring food and clothes to work in case he gets stranded – but he has not bought supplies for his wife and four children. He knows he could lose his job at any time should his workplace close.
“My payday is not until next week,” he said. “I can’t buy anything now.”

Ely Aboga said he is planning to bring food and clothes to work in case he gets stranded by the lockdown [Nick Aspinwall/Al Jazeera]

An estimated three million people, who live just outside of Metro Manila, travel every day to the capital to work.
On Thursday, the interior secretary said these workers would be allowed to commute provided that they show evidence of their employment.
This will strand thousands of “informal workers” such as tricycle drivers and street vendors, said Kai Ra Cabaron, public information officer for Kadamay, an advocacy group for urban poor communities.
On Friday, the Philippines’ trade bureau said informal workers should find work outside Metro Manila during the lockdown if they are not registered.
“They wouldn’t have the documentation, the address of their company,” Cabaron said. “They have their pedicabs, their jeepneys or their goods.”
“The government isn’t thinking of these people.”
‘Social distancing’
In his address, Duterte said authorities would enforce social distancing measures in public areas, including mass transportation, which will continue to run.

One in five people in Philippines live in extreme poverty

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Page 1 of 2
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2020 Tribune Media LLC