A former Egyptian army contractor whose online videos last year inspired rare street protests against President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has said he will step back from politics after his calls for mass anti-government rallies on the ninth anniversary of Egypt’s 25th January 2011 uprising “failed”.
Mohamed Ali, who has accused the president and the military of corruption, said in a video statement on Saturday that he will also close his Facebook page as there will no longer be use for it.
Turkish president Erdogan denounces Egypt’s Sisi over executions
Egypt executes nine over 2015 murder of prosecutor Hisham Barakat
US-Egyptian citizen dies after six years in Egypt custody