Connect with us

Several

Several dead in shooting in German city of Hanau

At least eight people were killed in two shooting incidents late on Wednesday in the German city of Hanau, police said. Police special units are chasing an unknown number of perpetrators, who fled the scene of the attack in the city of around 90,000 people near Frankfurt.  More: Germany far-right group was ‘plotting Christchurch-style attack’ Gunman…

Several dead in shooting in German city of Hanau

At least eight people were killed in two shooting incidents late on Wednesday in the German city of Hanau, police said.
Police special units are chasing an unknown number of perpetrators, who fled the scene of the attack in the city of around 90,000 people near Frankfurt. 
More:

Germany far-right group was ‘plotting Christchurch-style attack’

Gunman kills two after trying to attack German synagogue

Gunman open fires in German town, killing six

According to local media reports, three people were killed in front of the first bar and five in front of the second.
Heavily armed police sealed off two streets in the city of Hanau, where ambulances had rushed, while a police helicopter hovered over the city.
Public broadcaster Hessischer Rundfunk earlier reported that the first shots were fired at a shisha bar in the city centre, with witnesses saying they had heard eight or nine shots.

Forensic experts are seen outside one of the two shisha bars targeted in the late-night attack on Wednesday [Kai Pfaffenbach/Reuters]

The report said that the perpetrators then drove to the western neighbourhood of Kesselstadt before they started shooting again at another shisha bar.
The motive for the shootings remain unclear.
Police have set up a hotline for members of the public with information that could lead to the suspects.
Germany has been targeted in recent years by several extremist attacks, one of which killed 12 people in the heart of Berlin in December 2016. 

SOURCE:
News agencies

Continue Reading…

firing

Several stabbed in ‘major incident’ in Birmingham: UK police |NationalTribune.com

West Midlands Police say it is too early to speculate on the causes of the incident [Phil Noble/Reuters] Police in Birmingham, a city in England’s West Midlands region, has said there was a “major incident” after reports surfaced of a number of people injured in stabbings early on Sunday. “We can confirm that at approximately 12:30am…

Several stabbed in ‘major incident’ in Birmingham: UK police |NationalTribune.com

West Midlands Police say it is too early to speculate on the causes of the incident [Phil Noble/Reuters]
Police in Birmingham, a city in England’s West Midlands region, has said there was a “major incident” after reports surfaced of a number of people injured in stabbings early on Sunday.
“We can confirm that at approximately 12:30am today [Sunday], we were called to reports of a stabbing in Birmingham city centre,” West Midlands Police said in a statement.
“A number of other stabbings were reported in the area shortly after and “this has been declared a major incident”, the statement added.
“We are aware of a number of injured people, but at the moment we are not in a position to say how many or how serious.”
Footage aired on British television news channels shows large areas of the city centre cordoned off as police officers wearing forensic suits work at the scene.
The BBC said the incidents occurred near the area known as the Gay Village in the centre of Birmingham, where many people had been seated at outdoor tables eating and drinking.
“Work is still going on to establish what has happened, and could take some time before we are in a position to confirm anything,” West Midlands Police said.
“At this early stage, it would not be appropriate to speculate on the causes of the incident.”

SOURCE:
News agencies

Continue Reading…

Continue Reading

firing

Several dead, more than 100 hurt after truck explodes in China |NationalTribune.com

Firefighters work at the site of buildings damaged after a tanker truck explosion on a highway south of Shanghai [Wang Junlu/Xinhua via AP] A tanker truck exploded on a highway in southeastern China on Saturday, killing 18 people and injuring at least 189 others, authorities said. The explosion caused extensive damage to nearby buildings. One…

Several dead, more than 100 hurt after truck explodes in China |NationalTribune.com

Firefighters work at the site of buildings damaged after a tanker truck explosion on a highway south of Shanghai [Wang Junlu/Xinhua via AP]
A tanker truck exploded on a highway in southeastern China on Saturday, killing 18 people and injuring at least 189 others, authorities said.
The explosion caused extensive damage to nearby buildings. One photo showed firefighters hosing down a row of buildings with blown-out facades well into the night.
More:

Several dead after blast rocks China chemical plant

China chemical plant blast kills at least 19

Explosion at chemical factory in China kills 22, injures 22

The truck carrying liquefied gas exploded around 4:45pm on the Shenyang-Haikou Expressway south of Shanghai in Zhejiang province, the official Xinhua News Agency said, citing local authorities.
A second explosion followed when the truck fell onto a factory workshop, Xinhua said.
The Wenling city government information office said on its social media account that houses and workshops collapsed and 189 people were treated at six hospitals.
A worker at a nearby restaurant told Xinhua that the blast shattered the windows of her home, but that her mother and brother were unharmed.
The cause of the accident is under investigation, media said.
The government commission responsible for safety production called for the investigation be completed within a certain time, state media reported, without specifying the period.
The report said the commission called for traffic police to step up law enforcement focusing on vehicles such as those carrying dangerous chemicals.

SOURCE:
AP news agency

Continue Reading…

Continue Reading

Libya

Libya: Several killed as GNA forces approach Haftar stronghold

GNA-aligned forces have in recent days retaken a string of strategic cities west of Tripoli, including Sabratha, Surman and al-Ajaylat [Hazem Turkia/Anadolu] Libya’s internationally-recognised government has said its forces have killed eight fighters loyal to eastern-based renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar.  The announcement by military spokesman Mohamed Gnunu on Saturday came as forces aligned with…

Libya: Several killed as GNA forces approach Haftar stronghold

GNA-aligned forces have in recent days retaken a string of strategic cities west of Tripoli, including Sabratha, Surman and al-Ajaylat [Hazem Turkia/Anadolu]
Libya’s internationally-recognised government has said its forces have killed eight fighters loyal to eastern-based renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar. 
The announcement by military spokesman Mohamed Gnunu on Saturday came as forces aligned with the United Nations-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) ramped up their offensive against Haftar’s forward bases in western Libya. 

Tripoli gov’t retakes three cities from Haftar’s forces

Libyan hospital treating coronavirus patients attacked

Libya battles escalate as coronavirus arrives in country

GNA troops have in recent days retaken a string of strategic cities located west of Tripoli, including Sabratha, Surman and al-Ajaylat. 
Libya, a large oil producer, has been engulfed in chaos since 2011 when longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi was killed in a NATO-backed uprising.
It is now split between two rival administrations: The Tripoli-based GNA, led by Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj, and the House of Representatives allied to Haftar and his self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA).
In April 2019, Haftar launched a military campaign to wrest control of Tripoli but the offensive was largely stalled by forces loyal to the GNA.
Gnunu said GNA forces on Saturday overran a camp in the area of al-Hawatim near the city of Tarhouna, arresting 12 fighters from Haftar’s LNA and seizing several armoured vehicles. 
“The latest developments are threatening the very existence of Haftar’s forces in the whole of western Libya,” said Al Jazeera’s Mahmoud Abdelwahed, reporting from Tripoli.
“The city of Tarhouna is a major stronghold for Haftar after they lost the city of Gharyan last June. It’s important to note that the central command of Haftar’s forces is now located in Tarhouna and it is from there that Egyptian, Emirati and Russian military experts are running Haftar’s offensive against Tripoli.” 
On March 17, the UN and nine countries called on Libya’s warring sides to cease hostilities to allow health authorities to fight against the new coronavirus.
Numerous UN efforts to mediate a ceasefire have failed to result in a truce and have been on hold since envoy Ghassan Salame quit his post in early March, citing health reasons.

SOURCE:
Al Jazeera News

Continue Reading…

Continue Reading

Trending