Connect with us

releases

Uganda’s Bobi Wine releases song to fight coronavirus pandemic

Ugandan musician-turned-politician Bobi Wine has released a song to raise awareness about the coronavirus pandemic as his country imposes new restriction in a bid to stem the spread of the virus. The rapper, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, teamed up with fellow musician Nubian Li to highlight the importance of personal hygiene in…

Uganda’s Bobi Wine releases song to fight coronavirus pandemic

Ugandan musician-turned-politician Bobi Wine has released a song to raise awareness about the coronavirus pandemic as his country imposes new restriction in a bid to stem the spread of the virus.
The rapper, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, teamed up with fellow musician Nubian Li to highlight the importance of personal hygiene in the fight against the disease that has claimed the lives of more than 21,000 people worldwide.
More:

What we know so far about coronavirus

‘Coronavirus: Which countries have confirmed cases?

Your coronavirus emergency kit: Preparation, symptoms, myths

“The bad news is that everyone is a potential victim. But the good news is that everyone is a potential solution,” Wine, the member of parliament for Kyadondo East constituency, raps in the song.
“Sensitise the masses to sanitise. Keep a social distance and quarantine,” adds the 38-year-old.

Ten hours after the song was released it had garnered more than 700,000 views on social media with people praising the legislator for the message.
The country of 42 million people reported its first case on Sunday and has since imposed travel restrictions and banned public gatherings. Uganda has 14 confirmed cases of coronavirus, including an eight-month-old baby.

This is great message 👍 and it’s a must play on all TV’s and Radios…. Per now we are not in politics… We.are all on one road… No matter the parties… 🙏🙏
— Melvinie Logose Agaba (@Jsissye) March 25, 2020

Thank you so much for the information and adding your voice. Be alart citizens
— Pascal Mweruka (@Pmweruka81) March 25, 2020

“The government is suspending public transport for 14 days,” President Yoweri Museveni said in a public address on Sunday.
“This directive affects taxis, coasters, minibuses, buses, all passenger trains, tukutukus [tricycles] and bodabodas carrying passengers. The rationale is to minimise movement and contact among people.
“With immediate effect, markets should only be used for sale of foodstuffs. Trading of non-food items in the markets is suspended immediately. We expect this to greatly reduce numbers in the markets and help enforce social distancing,” Museveni added.
At least 46 countries in Africa have confirmed more than 1,400 cases of COVID-19. 
Last week, the World Health Organization (WHO) called on African countries to “wake up” to the growing threat of the virus. 
“The rapid evolution of COVID-19 in Africa is deeply worrisome and a clear signal for action,” Matshidiso Moeti, WHO regional director for Africa, said.
“But we can still change the course of this pandemic. Governments must draw on all of their resources and capabilities and strengthen their response,” Moeti said.

Continue Reading…

Biden

Joe Biden releases 2019 tax returns to troll Trump ahead of debate

Joseph R. Biden released his 2019 tax returns Tuesday, hours before the first presidential debate, as Mr. Biden and President Trump tried to play mind games before squaring off in Cleveland. Mr. Biden and his wife, Jill Biden, reported $944,737 in taxable income last year, $346,204 in total payments and a $46,858 refund. Mr. Biden…

Joe Biden releases 2019 tax returns to troll Trump ahead of debate

Joseph R. Biden released his 2019 tax returns Tuesday, hours before the first presidential debate, as Mr. Biden and President Trump tried to play mind games before squaring off in Cleveland.

Mr. Biden and his wife, Jill Biden, reported $944,737 in taxable income last year, $346,204 in total payments and a $46,858 refund.

Mr. Biden reported $135,116 in salary from the University of Pennsylvania – he went on unpaid leave in April 2019 — and some five- and six-figure speaking fees on a financial disclosure form he filed earlier this year.

Mrs. Biden teaches at Northern Virginia Community College.

The Biden campaign also released the 2019 returns on Tuesday for Democratic vice presidential nominee Sen. Kamala D. Harris and her husband Doug Emhoff.

The couple reported just over $3 million in taxable income last year and $754,809 in total payments. Their returns said they owed an additional $432,205.

Mr. Emhoff is currently on leave from his job with the law firm DLA Piper.

The Biden campaign released the candidates’ returns shortly after Mr. Trump’s team said Mr. Biden refused a request to have a third party inspect the candidates’ ears before Tuesday’s debate.

Mr. Biden’s team said he’s not wearing an earpiece and that the Trump campaign asked moderator Chris Wallace not to mention the number of deaths from COVID-19 during the debate.

Mr. Trump’s team said that is not accurate.

The New York Times reported on Sunday that Mr. Trump paid $750 in federal income taxes in 2016 and 2017 and that he appears to be responsible for loans totaling more than $400 million, most of which are about to come due in the next several years.

Mr. Trump and his team dismissed the report as fake news.

The president has broken with decades of precedent for major-party presidential nominees in declining to release any of his tax returns.

He has said since the 2016 campaign that he’s under an IRS audit and that he would be happy to release the returns once the audit is over.

The paper reported that the IRS started an audit in 2011 of a $72.9 million tax refund Mr. Trump received.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Continue Reading…

Continue Reading

Biden

Joe Biden camp releases ad featuring ‘Trump-to-Biden’ Pennsylvania farmer

Joseph R. Biden’s presidential campaign released a new ad on Thursday featuring a Pennsylvania farmer who says he made a mistake in supporting President Trump in 2016. “I’ll be the first to tell you I made a mistake,” Rick, the farmer from Lawrence County, says in the ad. He says Mr. Trump isn’t responsible for…

Joe Biden camp releases ad featuring ‘Trump-to-Biden’ Pennsylvania farmer

Joseph R. Biden’s presidential campaign released a new ad on Thursday featuring a Pennsylvania farmer who says he made a mistake in supporting President Trump in 2016.

“I’ll be the first to tell you I made a mistake,” Rick, the farmer from Lawrence County, says in the ad.

He says Mr. Trump isn’t responsible for the coronavirus itself but that he’s been “totally negligent” in his response.

“I made a mistake in ‘16. I won’t make a mistake in 2020,” he says.

The campaign plans to air the ad in Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Mr. Trump came face-to-face with some voters on the fence at a town hall in Philadelphia this week.

Ellesia Blaque of Wyomissing said afterward that she plans to vote for Mr. Biden after she had been weighing whether or not to vote at all. She said Mr. Trump was dismissive of her question about preexisting health conditions and that she got the impression he didn’t understand the issue.

Democrats also trotted out some Republicans at their convention last month such as former Ohio Gov. John Kasich who are now turned off by Mr. Trump but don’t have much influence in today’s GOP.

Mr. Biden, who has limited his interactions with voters during the coronavirus pandemic, is participating in a town hall in his hometown of Scranton on Thursday evening.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Continue Reading…

Continue Reading

releases

Trump releases list of potential Supreme Court nominees for second term

President Trump on Wednesday released a new list of conservatives he will consider for vacancies on the Supreme Court, including Republican Sens. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Ted Cruz of Texas and Josh Hawley of Missouri, replaying a campaign strategy that won over conservatives in 2016 and was credited with helping him win the presidency. In…

Trump releases list of potential Supreme Court nominees for second term

President Trump on Wednesday released a new list of conservatives he will consider for vacancies on the Supreme Court, including Republican Sens. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, Ted Cruz of Texas and Josh Hawley of Missouri, replaying a campaign strategy that won over conservatives in 2016 and was credited with helping him win the presidency.

In an announcement at the White House, Mr. Trump said his move underscores the stakes of the presidential election and what will happen to federal courts if Democrat Joseph R. Biden wins.

“Radical justices will erase the Second Amendment, silence political speech and require taxpayers to fund extreme late-term abortions,” the president said.

Among the potential nominees are two holdovers from Mr. Trump’s previous list: Judge Amy Coney Barrett of the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and Judge Amul Thapar of the 6th Circuit. Both are considered to be front-runners.

The 20 additions to his list include Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, former Solicitor General Paul Clement, Judge Gregory Katsas of the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, Ambassador to Mexico Christopher Landau, and Deputy White House Counsel Kate Dodd.

Mr. Hawley said in a post on Twitter almost immediately after the announcement that he is not interested in the job and had told the president.

“Missourians elected me to fight for them in the Senate, and I have no interest in the high court,” Mr. Hawley tweeted. “I look forward to confirming constitutional conservatives.”

Mr. Cruz also suggested he wants to remain in the Senate, although he said it was “humbling and an immense honor to be considered for the Supreme Court.”

“The high court plays a unique role in defending the Constitution of the United States,” he said. “In the Senate, I have been blessed to lead the fight to preserve our constitutional liberties — every day, to defend the rights of 29 million Texans — and I look forward to continuing to do so for many years to come.”

Mr. Cotton sounded more receptive to a nomination. Soon after the president made the announcement, Mr. Cotton voiced his support for overturning the Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision making abortion a federal constitutional right.

“It’s time for Roe v. Wade to go,” Mr. Cotton tweeted.

The president said the potential nominees are “in the mold” of the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and current justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr.

The decision to include several people who are not judges, including senators and former Solicitors General Noel Francisco and Mr. Clement, is a noted departure from the previous Supreme Court short lists.

Former White House Counsel Donald F. McGahn prized nominees with judicial experience, but the list that current White House Counsel Pat Cipollone helped develop does not place the same premium on jurists.

The court has a 5-4 conservative majority, thanks to Mr. Trump’s successful nominations of Justices Brett M. Kavanaugh and Neil M. Gorsuch.

Among the nine current justices, liberal Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the oldest at 87 and has been fighting cancer for years. Liberal Justice Stephen G. Breyer is 82; Justices Thomas and Alito are 72 and 70, respectively. Judicial nominations are lifetime appointments subject to confirmation by the Senate.

While the president has been promising for months to release the list, the announcement Wednesday afternoon seemed to be timed to change the subject from a flood of negative headlines about journalist Bob Woodward’s new book about the president, titled “Rage.” It quotes the president saying he downplayed the threat of the coronavirus.

Mr. Trump’s announcement may put pressure on Democratic challenger Joseph R. Biden to release his own list of possible Supreme Court nominees. Mr. Biden has promised to nominate a Black woman to the high court.

Liberal judicial advocacy group Demand Justice wants Mr. Biden to release his list before the November election, the group’s executive director told C-SPAN on Wednesday.

“The vice president has said that he’s considering it,” Brian Fallon said. “We know that he’s made a commitment to nominate the first African American woman to the bench, and we think that’s amazing. We’d love for him to go further to say some names that he’s considering.”

The president said Mr. Biden “has refused to release his list, perhaps because he knows the names are so extremely far left that they could never withstand public scrutiny or receive acceptance.”

“He must release a list of justices for people to properly make a decision as to how they will vote,” Mr. Trump said of his rival.

The president said Mr. Biden’s list would undoubtedly reflect “a growing radical left movement that rejects the principle of equal treatment under the law.”

“If this extreme movement is granted a majority on the Supreme Court, it will fundamentally transform America without a single vote of Congress,” Mr. Trump said. “They will give unelected bureaucrats the power to destroy millions of American jobs. They will remove the words ‘under God’ from the Pledge of Allegiance. They will erase national borders, cripple police departments, and grant new protections to anarchists, rioters, violent criminals and terrorists.”

He said some of the country’s most “treasured freedoms” have been spared by a single vote on the high court.

“Over the next four years, America’s president will choose hundreds of federal judges and, in all likelihood, one, two, three and even four Supreme Court justices. The outcome of these decisions will determine whether we hold fast to our nation’s founding principles or whether they are lost forever,” he said.

With the help of Senate Republicans, Mr. Trump has appointed an unprecedented 205 federal judges in less than four years. That includes 53 appeals court judges, the second-fastest pace in history behind only President Carter with 54.

Mike Davis, founder of the Article III Project, which advocates for Mr. Trump’s judicial picks, said conservatives should be thrilled with all the candidates on the list as well-qualified options for any Supreme Court vacancy.

“By issuing his updated Supreme Court list today, President Trump is once again putting his cards on the table for the American people — promising to pick Supreme Court justices who understand their crucial job in protecting us from government overreach and mob rule,” Mr. Davis said.

Mr. Davis said the Article III Project is mounting an advocacy campaign this fall to support Mr. Trump’s judicial picks and contrast Republicans’ approach with a “Biden-Harris list” of potential Supreme Court appointments favored by liberal groups.

Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the Susan B. Anthony List and national co-chairwoman of Pro-Life Voices for Trump, said the president’s list is “filled with all-stars.”

“The issue of the Supreme Court continues to highly motivate our base, and we are seeing it persuade targeted voters at their doorsteps in presidential and Senate battlegrounds,” she said. “It is a central issue in emphasizing that the 2020 election is the most important of our lifetimes and is why SBA List is committed to educating 7 million voters across key presidential and Senate battlegrounds.”

Not all of Mr. Trump’s supporters like his list.

Ashley Baker, policy director at the Committee for Justice who has defended Mr. Trump’s previous picks, said she was angry that Judge Neomi Rao of the D.C. Circuit was excluded.

Some court watchers perceive Judge Rao as less reliable on issues that matter to pro-life conservatives.

“To appease Sen. Hawley, Neomi Rao — an excellent jurist that has more than proven herself as a strong textualist over the past 1.5 years on the D.C. Circuit — was not only excluded from the list, but Hawley (not a serious contender), was added,” Ms. Baker tweeted. “I’m absolutely livid.”

Liberals panned the list as an effort by the president to excite his base.

“This is a last-ditch effort by the president to energize his base,” said Alliance for Justice President Nan Aron. “Trump is clearly trying to distract the American public from an astonishing number of damning allegations right now, but we cannot allow this purely political ploy to become a reality. If he is allowed to fill another Supreme Court seat, it would be yet another disaster for our democracy. If there’s one thing this president doesn’t lie about, it’s his eagerness to stack the courts with extremists prepared to carry out Republicans’ conservative agenda, overturning access to health care and abortion.”

The other additions to the president’s list include Judges Bridget Bade and Lawrence VanDyke of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; Judges Stuart Kyle Duncan and James Ho of the 5th Circuit; Judge Barbara Lagoa of the 11th Circuit; Judge Peter Phipps of the 3rd Circuit; and Judge Allison Jones Rushing of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

The remaining additions are Steven Engel, assistant U.S. attorney general for the Office of Legal Counsel, Mr. Francisco, a former solicitor general; Florida Supreme Court Justice Carlos Muniz; and U.S. District Court Judges Martha Pacold of the Northern Illinois and Sarah Pitlyk of Eastern Missouri.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said the president’s list “demonstrates his commitment to appointing originalists, who will abide by the Constitution, and textualists, who will implement the plain meaning of statutes. They will uphold the rule of law and ensure that America continues to shine as a beacon of freedom and justice around the world.”

Maureen Ferguson, senior fellow for The Catholic Association, said the president’s expanded list of Supreme Court candidates “brings transparency and clarity to the American voters who care about the rule of law and the defense of our constitutional rights.”

“Most of the additions come from the pool of his extraordinary appointees to the circuit courts,” she said. “Voters are left to wonder why Joe Biden won’t treat them with the same respect and release a list of his own.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Continue Reading…

Continue Reading

Trending